Patient education: a literature review
- 1 Mid-Worcestershire School of Nursing, Redditch.
- PMID: 3286713
- DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.1988.tb01409.x
The literature review has been carried out to examine the role of nurses as patient teachers. It attempts to determine why patient education is necessary and why it should be part of the nurse's role. Included is an account of the abilities required by the nurse in order to function in that role. It is generally agreed that it is part of the nurse's role to educate patients but this is often not carried out in reality. Where it is done it is mostly unplanned and haphazard in manner and the effectiveness uncertain. There are many reasons cited why this is the case and many of these reasons relate to the inadequate education and training of nurses for this role. Registered nurses are responsible for the nursing care of patients which should include their education. In order to be able to provide the necessary education nurses must have the opportunity to be taught to develop the appropriate skills during basic training. As a result, a study is now underway to attempt to determine the extent to which student nurses are being prepared for their role as patient educators during basic training.
- Education, Nursing
- Patient Education as Topic*
Health Literacy Literature Reviews
At this time, some of these resources listed below are old. However, each resource provides a valuable summary of the accumulating literature about health literacy at the time at which it was written.
- Health Literacy in The “Oral Exchange”: An Important Element of Patient–Provider Communication by S. Nouri, R. Rudd. Patient Education & Counseling, Volume 98(5); (2015).
- Health Literacy Interventions and Outcomes: An Updated Systematic Review by N. Berkman et al. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US). Report No.: 11-E006; (2011).
- Health Literacy: An Updated Review of the Medical and Public Health Literature by R. Rudd with J. Epstein Anderson, S. Oppenheimer, C. Nath. Annual Review of Adult Learning and Literacy, Volume 7; (2007).
- Understanding Health Literacy and its Barriers by M. Zorn, M. Allen, A. Horowitz. Library of Medicine; (2004).
- Health Literacy: A Review of the Medical and Public Health Literature by R. Rudd, B. Moeykens, T. Colton. Annual Review of Adult Learning and Literacy, Volume 1; (2000).