- Give to Unilag
Call for Applications: MIASA Writing Workshop, April 25 – 29, 2023
- January 11, 2023
- UNILAG Communication Unit
The Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA), University of Ghana, Accra, is organising a 5-day writing workshop, aimed at providing early-career African researchers working on the themes of peace, democracy, and climate change with the space and intellectual community they need to turn a draft paper into a publishable journal piece.
The workshop is intended to give early career scholars the opportunity to contribute to knowledge production in one of the workshop’s three research foci: peace, democracy, and climate change.
- To strengthen the academic writing skills of African early career scholars, with particular attention to female scholars,
- To enhance the success rate of early-career African scholars’ submissions to high-quality journals,
- To build a network of Africa-based scholars working on the themes of peace, democracy and climate change.
The 5-day programme will be organised as a writing retreat, with daily seminars and writing sessions. The seminars will include practical guidance on academic writing and publishing in high-quality journals, while the writing sessions will be supported by academic mentors and editors with research interests in peace, democracy and climate change.
Successful applicants will be provided with funding to cover travel expenses to Ghana from Sub-Saharan Africa along with accommodation and subsistence costs for the duration of the workshop.
Applications are welcomed from early career researchers who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- a doctorate which was awarded within 5 years of the application deadline, i.e. doctoral certificate awarded after January 2018 till date,
- employed at a recognised university or research institute in Sub-Saharan Africa,
- fluency in written and spoken English (there will be no translation services provided).
The application should include the following:
- a motivation letter (1-page maximum) outlining reasons for wishing to attend the writing workshop and the benefits to be gained,
- a draft research paper (5,000-8,000 words in English) that contains original data and preliminary data analysis in the areas of peace, democracy and climate change, and which is aimed at journal submission,
- an abstract of the paper (max. 500 words),
- a Ph.D. award certificate.
- Applications are to be filled out using the following link: https://forms.gle/nVgxaFHQLZ3NXHuL8
- Abstracts/Research Paper/CVs/Certificates should be sent in pdf format to email: [email protected]
- Submission deadline: January 20, 2023
- Any enquiries should be directed to [email protected]
Applications will be assessed and selected through a strictly merit-based procedure. The main selection criteria are:
- A Ph.D. certificate granted between January 2018 and January 2023,
- Employment at a university or research institute on the African continent,
- Excellence, relevance and originality of the draft research paper,
- Fit of the research with the themes of peace, democracy and climate change.
The workshop is organised in collaboration with ZIAF/University of Frankfurt, Germany and funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research through the Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA), University of Ghana, Legon.
Funmi Babington-Ashaye Foundation Gives Cash Prizes to High-Flying Students of UNILAG
Coursera Online Courses: 3rd Batch (Additional) List of Students Released
Important Notice to the General Public
Connect with us.
Founded in 1962, the University of Lagos has, for over 5 decades, provided qualitative and research-oriented education to Nigerians and all those who have entered its domain in search of knowledge. The University has built a legacy of excellence and has been instrumental in the production of top range graduates and academia who have had tremendous impact, directly or indirectly, on growth and development in Nigeria.
- UNILAG Intranet
- UNILAG Payment Portal
- UNILAG Quality Assurance Policy
- UNILAG Service Charter
Get in Touch
- Give to UNILAG
- Prospective Postgraduate Students
- Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Stakeholder Links
- UNILAG Pocket Statistics
- Vacancies (Careers)
Access the University
- Institutionary Repository
© 2023 University of Lagos
- Skip to primary navigation
- Skip to main content
- Skip to primary sidebar
- Skip to footer
- Book Reviews
- Book Feature
- Book Excerpts
- Stories & Poems
- Story Series
- 100 Notable African Books of 2023
- 2022 Brittle Paper Person of the Year Awards
- Brittle Paper’s 2021 Person of the Year Award
- The Writing Room Tips
- List of Magazines, Prizes, Fellowships, and More
- Courses (Register/Login)
- My Writing Room
- The Decade Project
- Guide to African Novels
Explore African Literature
Attend Accord Literary’s Creative Retreat for Authors/Illustrators | Deadline: December 1
by Kuhelika Ghosh
November 15, 2022
Accord Literary will be hosting a 10-day celebration of literature for young readers in Accra, Ghana in May 2023. Accra will be the UNESCO World Book Capital for 2023, so the retreat will be held at a good time!
Accord Literary is working with Writers Project Ghana, LOATAD, Ghana Publishers Association, Brand Africa and The Rock Retreat to organize the retreat. The retreat will be facilitated by storytelling veterans such as published authors and illustrators alongside professionals from the publishing industry.
Accord Literary is a Ghana-based literary agency that aims to mentor, develop and encourage writers based in Africa writing books for young readers. The retreat will immerse participants in a diverse range of children’s literature from picture books for young children to YA fiction. It is an excellent opportunity for authors and illustrators to strengthen their work, tell more compelling stories, connect with peers, and get closer to the goal of getting published.
The goal of the retreat is to help participants learn and practice creative writing skills such as applying new storytelling perspectives, recognizing issues and themes relevant to young people’s lives, developing character, narrative, setting, voice, dialogue and other narrative fundamentals, incorporating the unique experiences of individual authors and illustrators in stories, using art to carry a narrative, and experimenting with new art styles.
See the submission criteria below:
- Submit your bio and first 1000 words of a work in progress or three illustrations saved as jpegs.
- Please save your work using the file name: Accraretreat/YOURNAME
- Please use the email subject: ACCRA CREATIVE RETREAT, and send your submission to [email protected] .
- Artists can send their illustrations to WhatsApp (+263 712 211 632). Include your name and contact details.
The cost of attending the retreat is £2000 which includes hotel, meals, local transport and excursions. The cost does not include your flight or visa costs. Accord Literary is offering fully sponsored places to creators from sub- Saharan Africa. If you are interested in one of the sponsored places, please follow the submission criteria and include details of why you would like to attend the creative retreat.
Deadline for Submission: December 1, 2022
Applicants will be notified about their applications by January 29, 2023.
Go here for more details.
- Accord Literary
- Accra Ghana
- Creative Retreat
The Shortlist for the 2023 Miles Morland Writing Scholarships is Out
Temi Oh is a Writer on Netflix Dark Fantasy Show Castlevania: Nocturne!
2 African Writers Judging 2024 Commonwealth Short Story Prize | Deadline: Nov 1
Obari Gomba Wins the 2023 Nigeria Prize for Literature
Chinua Achebe’s Home State Anambra Names International Airport in Honor of his Legacy
Submit to the Abebi Award in Afro-Nonfiction | Deadline: November 14
Reader interactions, leave a comment cancel reply.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
FOLLOW BRITTLE PAPER
Like African literature? Follow us on Twitter.
Support Brittle Paper
Sign up to our newsletter
- Staff Email (Office 365)
- Intranet Portal
- Staff directory
- Student Portal
- Wireless Access
- UG Alumni Relations Office
- UG Alumni Association (Ghana)
- UG Alumni Association (North America)
- Office of the Chancellor
- Office of the Vice Chancellor
- Enrolment Facts
- UG Business Intelligence Portal
- University Leadership
- UG Affiliates & Partners
- Statutes of the University
- UG Policies
- Office of Legal Counsel
- UG Publications
- Public Affairs Directorate
- School of Graduate Studies
- Financial Aid
- The Pro-Vice Chancellor
- Dean of Student Affairs
- Institutes & Centres
- Departments A - Z
- Academic Affairs
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Quality Assurance
- Student Handbook
- UG Research Grants
- Ethics Committees
- Intellectual Property
- Public Lectures
- Research Opportunities Alerts
- Annual Research Reports
- Balme Library
- Institutional Repository
- Online Catalogue
- Research Guides
- Times Higher Education
- Off-Campus Access
- Events & Room Reservation
- International Programmes
- Freshmen Info
Call for Applications for MIASA Writing Workshop
The Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) seeks to provide Africa-based early career researchers working on the themes of governance, conflict resolut ion and climate change on the continent with the space and intellectual community to transform a draft paper into a publishable journal piece. The 5-day writing workshop is designed to provide early career scholars with the opportunity to contribute to knowledge production in one of the three fields of research focus for this workshop: governance, conflict resolution and climate change.
For more information see: https://www.ug.edu.gh/mias-africa/content/call-applications-miasa-writing-workshop-2022-“governance-conflict-resolution-and-climate
Please click here for more details:
News & Events
Get in Touch with Us
- Basic & Applied Sciences
- Health Science
- Distance Education
- Academic Record Verification
- UG Journals
- UG Intranet Portal
- The Pan-African Doctoral Academy (PADA)
- Employment Opportunities
- UG Alumni Relations Office
Phd proposal writing workshop.
Proposal writing workshops are aimed at prospective PhD candidates to fine-tune their PhD proposals for a successful doctoral programme application. This year, we also introduced the proposal writing workshop for university managers.
PhD Proposal Writing Workshop 2023
July 26, 2023, 9:00 AM to July 27, 2023, 5:00 PM
About the Workshop
Participants at the workshop are coached by seasoned researchers and other DAAD and Germany alumni who have successfully completed their research stays in Germany. These workshops, an initiative of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research are also aimed at introducing participants to the vast research landscape of Germany, available funding opportunities as well as ‘how to find a research supervisor’. Interested participants who have attained a masters degree are invited to attend.
Attendance is free-of-charge, however, prior registration is mandatory.
The 2023 edition of the PhD Proposal Writing Workshop is planned to take place in Tamale on 26th and 27th July 2023.
To participate, please use the following Link to register . Please register by the 13th July . We will send out confirmation of participation by 19th of July 2023. You may also visit the DAAD Ghana Events page for other seminars and events.
Advertisements by German Universities
Master’s Program International Media Studies: Apply now!
The four-semester Master’s degree offers an unparalleled mix of research, lectures and practical experience and prepares students for careers in the digital media industries.
Advance your career with an MBA from Pforzheim University!
The full-time MBA in International Management at Pforzheim University combines a classical management education with the most relevant future topics: Innovation Management, Sustainable Globalization a...
Hands-on Master’s programs at Hof University Graduate School
You hold a Bachelor and already gained some work experience? Kick-start your career with our exciting hands-on M.B.A. and M.Eng. programs. All programs comprise one year of internship – a great opport...
Enhance your career in the field of International Cooperation!
Enhance your career in the field of International Cooperation! Apply until mid March to Kehl University for our English-language and career-integrated M. A. Programme “Public Management in Internatio...
Study the Master of Manufacturing Technology in Germany
Apply for the two-year, fully English-taught Master´s program in manufacturing technology (MMT) from Feb. 1st – Mar. 15th at TU Dortmund University, Germany. The program is free of tuition fees.
DAAD Information Centre Accra
Located at Goethe Institut, Cantonments, Accra