You control your data
Choose type of cookies to accept
These cookies give you access to a customized experience of our products. Personalization cookies are also used to deliver content, including ads, relevant to your interests on our Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with our advertisements or content as well as track the content you access (including video viewing). We may also collect password information from you when you log in, as well as computer and/or connection information. During some visits, we may use software tools to measure and collect session information, including page response times, download errors, time spent on certain pages and page interaction information.
These cookies are placed by third-party companies to deliver targeted content based on relevant topics that are of interest to you. And allow you to better interact with social media platforms such as Facebook.
These cookies are essential for the Site's performance and for you to be able to use its features. For example, essential cookies include: cookies dropped to provide the service, maintain your account, provide builder access, payment pages, create IDs for your documents and store your consents.
To see a detailed list of cookies, click here .
- Cover Letter Examples
Security Guard Cover Letter: Sample (Also for No Experience)
You could speak for hours about how the good guy caught the bad guy, but somehow you can’t get your head around writing a security guard cover letter. Fight this now.
As seen in:
To become a security guard like Gus Lett, you either have to be lucky or prove your skill again and again and again.
Unfortunately for you—
You need to prove yourself to get there.
Once you’re done with this security guard cover letter guide, even Michael Jordan will realize you’re way out of his league.
This guide will show you a security guard cover letter example and the best tips on writing a cover letter for a security guard step-by-step.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Create your cover letter now
Sample cover letter for a resume— See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here .
Have a look at other cover letter writing guides:
- Security Officer Cover Letter Sample
- Police Officer Cover Letter Sample
- Federal Cover Letter Sample
- Firefighter Cover Letter Sample
- Law Enforcement Cover Letter Sample
- CIA Cover Letter Sample
- Formal Cover Letter Sample
- Short Cover Letter Sample
- Cold Call Cover Letter Sample
- Career Change Cover Letter Sample
- Good Cover Letter Samples for All Professions
Security Guard Cover Letter Sample
2946 Kelly Drive
Whitesville, WV 25209
One day, an unfamiliar person used an invalid access card. They were from the competition, trying to pass into the offices illegally. Thankfully, I played by the book, and the person never made it.
I’ve been working as a WV-registered armed security guard for 5+ years. My job involved property patrol and ensuring safety at major public events. Looking at the job description, you’re trying to find a person who has experience in office building monitoring and screening and who’s a capable negotiator. See how my track record reflects that:
- Office building monitoring —Monitored an office building with 100-person capacity doing regular circuits and checking CCTV.
- Screening —Conducted screening of authorized visitors using detection technology or manually, if necessary, reporting any instance of compliance violation.
- Negotiation and communication skills —Alleviated tense situations involving employee, visitor, or tenant matters daily.
What drew my attention to your company was how much effort you put into training. It’s essential for security staff to stay up to date with the latest technologies and protocols and be physically fit.
Let’s schedule a meeting next week to discuss my value added to the SecureX team, plus I’d love to talk over the details from the story above.
Security Guard Cover Letter Template
Use the below best tips on writing a cover letter for a security guard position:
1. Format Your Security Guard Cover Letter
Queens have protocols. Presidents have protocols. And—
You, too, have protocols.
Writing your perfect cover letter requires having the bases covered. That’s the only way to keep your writing safe.
Here’s how you can make that happen:
- Get the cover letter layout right: left-alignment, 1–1.15 line spacing, 1” margins, and double-spacing between paragraphs.
- Choose a simple cover letter template or use the same cover letter template than for your resume. The latter works better for your consistency score.
- Pick an easy-to-read cover letter font , like Arial or Calibri, in between 10–12 pt.
- Design a clear cover letter outline to stay one page and drop the “ how long should my cover letter be ” question for good.
- Save it as a PDF.
Read more: How To Write A Cover Letter To Land The Job?
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check . Start building a professional resume template here for free .
When you’re done, our easy resume builder will score your resume and our resume checker will tell you exactly how to make it better.
2. Create a Cover Letter Header
“I’m Kevin Costner, and you’re my Whitney.”
That’s not a cover letter header; more like a US Weekly headline.
See what to include to make a correct header for a security guard cover letter:
- Your contact information : full name, job title (optionally), phone number, and address
- Place and date of writing
- Your addressee’s details: full name, job title, company name, and company address. (If you can’t find the hiring manager’s name for the address , call the company to find out.)
Read more: Cover Letter Header: How To Write It?
3. Open Your Cover Letter With an Accomplishment
You caught the bad guy, huh?
But so did James Bond, the Mystery Inc. gang, or Miss Congeniality.
You need to have something better for your recruiter.
Have a look at the strategies you can go for to start your cover letter:
- Lure your recruiter into the next parts with one of your best professional achievements . Whether it’s a black belt in karate or defusing an intense fight at a stadium, it’s fine as long as it’s relevant to the job.
- If you’re only beginning your career in the security sector, open your entry-level cover letter with enthusiasm for joining the team and showing you’ve got what it takes.
- You can also start by telling what it is that makes you want to become a security guard.
- Just be yourself . Don’t look for inspiration elsewhere.
Read more: Successful Ways To Start A Cover Letter
4. Give Evidence of Your Experience and Skillset
Your security guard resume is full of CCTVs, DVRs, PSIAs, and whatnot.
The thing is, you need to prove what you can do, not just speak the insider lingo, aka the cryptic language of acronyms.
Luckily, you have room for exactly that in the middle paragraphs.
See some tips for how to write that section:
- Read the job description to see what keywords your employer used in the job ad so that you can use them, too. A little caveat, though: write only about those skills and experience that you’re sure you have. Truth always comes out.
- Sell yourself in the cover letter by talking about your skills in the accomplishment statements formula . It means that you should use quantifiers and power words when writing about them.
- As a person aspiring to be a security guard, talk about transferable skills you picked up throughout your time at school or doing odd jobs, e.g., physical training, taking night shifts, taking negotiation and persuasion classes.
- And don’t restate what’s on your resume. Let the recruiter get to know your personality a bit.
Read more: Check What To Put In Your Cover Letter
5. Show Your Motivation to Become a Security Guard
Sudden glass shattering! Alarm striking! Dog growling! And you—
Your wheezing’s still going strong.
Did you just get robbed of your dream job? Heck yes!
In the last but one paragraph, prove you won’t let such things happen on your watch. Here’s how:
- Say what excites you about working for that particular company.
- OR what attracted you to that job.
- You can also make an offer or promise to solve their problems.
- Whatever you go for, make sure to sum up with a call to action for your recruiter. Ask them directly for an interview.
Read more: What Your Cover Letter Should Say But Doesn’t
6. Finish Off With a Signature
Now throw the final punch and get it over with.
You can sign off your cover letter with one of the following:
- Kind regards
- Best regards
- Respectfully yours
- Yours sincerely.
Add your name underneath, and you’re good to go.
Read more: Ideas For The Cover Letter Ending
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
See more cover letter templates and start writing.
Thanks for reading!
What do you think of this sample cover letter for a security guard? Would you like to see a security guard cover letter for entry-level? Are there any tips you think are missing in the above sample security guard cover letter?
Let us know in the comments below!
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines . We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.
Don't miss out on exclusive stories that will supercharge your career!
Get a weekly dose of inspiration delivered to your inbox
12 Cover Letter Templates for Microsoft Word (Free Download)
We’ve combed the Internet to bring you a collection of 12 awesome Word cover letter templates. Plus, we'll show you how to use them in MS Word.
What Is a Cover Letter for a Job? Purpose & Example
Everyone has heard of one, but what is a cover letter for a job and what does it do? Here’s a simple explanation plus a full toolbox of cover letter advice.
Cover Letter Salutation & Best Greeting Examples
How you finish depends a lot on how you start. Write a cover letter salutation that will have recruiters reading to the end.
13+ Security Guard Cover Letters – Word, PDF
Working as a security guard requires a lot of determination, and you should be firm to follow what’s right just to keep your designated place safe. If you have the heart to work as one, you may want to look at our security guard cover letter templates . The following samples are ideal for job employment applications for the officer, entry-level, supervisor, and law enforcement positions. Whether you have no experience or are a long-time professional, you can boost your chances of landing the vacancy using the letter templates along with your resume , request or recommendation, and certificate document.
Security Guard Cover Letter Template
- Google Docs
General Security Guard Cover Letter Template
Simple Security Guard Employment Entry Level Cover Letter
Free Armed Security Guard Recommendation
Free Supervisor Security Officer Cover Letter Template
Free Reference Security Guard with No Experience
Free Professional School Security Guard Request
How to Write a Security Officer Cover Letter
- On the upper-most area of the cover letter , indicate the date the letter is written and then write your contact information as well as the employers.
- Greet the reader professionally by using “Mr./Ms.” followed by their last name.
- Start right away by stating that you want to apply as a security officer in their company and explain why you are suitable for the position. You can also see more on Experience Cover Letters .
- Further, provide details about your experiences working as a security officer and some relevant training and certifications that may contribute to the strengthening of the company’s security.
- Inform the reader that you are looking forward to being interviewed and that you will also be following up if no response is heard in a week. You can also see more on Security Officer Cover Letters .
- Thank the reader for taking the time to consider your application and sign off.
Tips for Writing a Security Guard Cover Letter with No Experience
- Divert their attention to your objectives and what you aim to achieve in your career.
- Focus on experiences where you were able to practice your skills in ensuring safety or monitoring any unusual situations.
- Highlight relevant qualifications based on the job description .
Free Law Enforcement Head Security Officer Job
Free Standard Security Guard Cover Letter Application
Free Hotel Security Guard Cover Letter with Experience
Free General Security Guard Resume Template
Free Campus Security Guard Cover Letter Template
Free Security Guard Medical Certificate Application
The Most Sought-After Skills from a Security Officer
- A security officer should be physically fit to be able to sustain the physical demands of doing patrols and responding to urgent situations.
- A security officer should pay close attention to detail when monitoring the surroundings to ensure safety and to determine if things get suspicious.
- A security office should know how to identify problems and be able to respond accordingly and appropriately to those situations.
- A security guard should be able to handle issues and conflicts effectively using their leadership and communication skills. You can also see more on Security Officer Job Descriptions .
- A security guard should know how to keep confidential information when they need to.
More in Letters
Security Guard Services Invitation Template
Security Guard Services Certificate Template
Security Guard Services Poster Template
Security Guard Services Presentation Template
Security Services Bi-Fold Brochure Template
Security Services Flyer Template
Security Guard Services Feedback Form Template
Security Guard Services Envelope Template
Security Guard Services Fax Paper Template
Security Guard Services Invoice Template
Get instant access to free & premium security guard service templates , ai tools & daily fresh content.
Get access to 1 million+ FREE, PRO, template bundles with professional written original content. Advanced AI, design, document editing tools
3 Security Guard Cover Letter Examples Working in 2023
- Security Guard Cover Letter
- Unarmed Security Guard Cover Letter
- Security Guard No Experience Cover Letter
- Write Your Security Guard Cover Letter
Your detailed surveillance abilities stand out. You conduct patrols, implement risk management protocols, and execute emergency procedures with high levels of proficiency.
Are your cover letter and complementary security guard resume ready to help you lock down your next job?
When an organization’s security systems are under your watch, they’ll take extra precautions while reviewing applicants to choose the best prospects. If you’re wondering how to optimize for success, these security guard cover letter examples will give you a top-notch template to stand out in the hiring process.
Security Guard Cover Letter Example
USE THIS TEMPLATE
Why this cover letter works
- For instance, highlighting how you utilized your First Aid training to save lives would endear you to recruiters.
Unarmed Security Guard Cover Letter Example
- While still there, highlight your ability to merge both conventional and the latest security technologies to ensure a secure environment and safe place for people.
Security Guard No Experience Cover Letter Example
- Include how you ensured safety and success of sports events in your security guard no experience cover letter, and you’re a step closer to the job.
Related cover letter examples
- Security guard resume
- Police officer
- Cyber security
- Legal assistant
How to Write a Top-Notch Security Guard Cover Letter
Just like you’d customize your patrol schedules and emergency response procedures to specific company needs, you’ll want to apply that same thought process to your cover letter.
The job description will be your guide to success here. Each company will emphasize key qualifications they’re looking for, so all you have to do is stay alert to the indicators that something is essential. For example, a company may reference using security cameras, and you could stand out by referencing your proficiency in commercial CCTV camera systems.
Start strong with a well-planned opening for your security guard cover letter
Whether you’re working with customers or patrol team members, you’d want to learn their names to provide a personable touch while on the job. You should do the same with your cover letter by greeting a hiring manager by name. So, try to use your vigilant abilities to see if you can locate a contact person in the job description or on the company’s website.
The next part of optimizing your opener will be getting specific to each job’s security responsibilities and mission. For example, you could explain how you’ll use your safety management skills to ensure a comfortable shopping experience at a retail store.
The opener below doesn’t make enough impact since the applicant doesn’t address a specific person or mention anything related to the company’s mission or security needs.
Lacking a personal connection here!
Your security guard job opening caught my attention. This looks like a great company to work for, and I’d be eager to join your surveillance team.
The following opener does a much better job of relating to the blend of traditional and innovative vigilance protocols that’ll make the applicant successful as a security guard at G4S Secure Solutions.
An opener connecting to the company’s security practices!
Dear Mr. Martinez,
In today’s ever-evolving security landscape, it is paramount that security officers embrace both the traditional principles of vigilance and the latest technological advancements. I take pride in my ability to seamlessly blend these elements to create a holistic security strategy that is effective and efficient. With deep-seated commitment and passion, I would like to be part of the G4S Secure Solutions team as an unarmed security guard.
Present the right information in the body of your security guard cover letter
The work of a security guard is always performance-driven. The best way to optimize the body of your cover letter for success is by sharing examples of previous work achievements that are backed by numbers, like how you improved response times or reduced security incidents.
If you don’t have much experience, you could also reference job skills gained through a security management degree or transferable skills like providing excellent customer service in previous jobs.
A body paragraph showcasing great security achievements!
As a junior security guard at Star Protection Agency, I was commended for my adaptability and knack for quickly learning new tools and techniques. Here, I increased the effectiveness of nighttime patrols by 27% through the strategic use of infrared equipment and motion-sensor technologies.
Secure the interview with an optimal closing to your cover letter
The best way to start your closing paragraph is to restate your connection to the company’s mission and how your top security skills fit in. For example, you could write about how you’ll use your knowledge in strategic threat intelligence practices to ensure a safe working environment where all premises are monitored.
Lastly, it’s good practice to thank the hiring manager for their time and use a call to action, such as “I look forward to discussing this security guard role with you further.”
The closer below doesn’t make enough impact since it lacks information about specific security skills or company needs.
Lacking specific security skills or needs!
I believe my skills and experiences align perfectly with what your team is looking for. I’m eager to discuss my qualifications as a security guard with you further.
The following closer does a better job of presenting how the applicant will help G4S in their mission to provide unwavering client safety as a security guard.
An impactful closer related to the company’s mission!
I’m inspired by G4S’ reputation for excellence in security solutions and unwavering dedication to client safety. I’m excited about the opportunity to contribute to your mission and vision. Thank you for considering my application.
One page is the optimal length for security guard cover letters. Just like recording surveillance data, you’ll want to keep your cover letter concise and relevant to a company’s primary needs, such as checkpoint patrol strategies and using two-way radios.
You should make your cover letter custom for each job to ensure the specific security skills you write about are relevant and stand out to each company. For example, one company may use an active patrol system, whereas another performs random patrols. A custom cover letter helps you stand out for each one.
When you can’t find a contact person’s name, you can simply address your security cover letter to “[name of company] hiring team.” Then, ensure the rest of your cover letter is highly specific to surveillance systems and tactical planning needs based on the job description to ensure the details still stand out.
A cover letter is more than just a generic greeting or a rehash of the information on your resume: It’s your chance to make a strong first impression to the hiring manager and highlight your best attributes. Use a professional security guard cover letter sample like the one below as a starting point for your own letter that’s engaging, concise and persuasive.
If you’re not sure what to include in your letter or how to structure it properly, use the writing tips as a guideline. A well-crafted, comprehensive cover letter is the perfect addition to a strong application packet that’s sure to get you noticed.
Professional Security Guard Cover Letter Sample
Security guard cover letter must-haves.
Not only should your cover letter use proper grammar and be free of mistakes but it should also be customized to the job and your particular security-related skills. Use a business-like tone and strong action verbs to describe your experience and qualifications without simply repeating the information you’ve included on your resume .
As indicated in the professional security guard cover letter sample, it’s important to make specific references to the job description. As a security guard, you’re expected to work nontraditional hours, remain calm and react appropriately to retain control of any situation. State your particular attributes in these areas in a concise, straightforward way.
Finally, make sure your cover letter design matches your resume by using a resume builder . You can choose from dozens of resume templates you can fill in, download and ultimately apply to your cover letter. Alternatively, if you’re on a budget Resume Now offers free downloadable Microsoft Word resume templates and Google Doc templates , both of which can be used for your cover letter. Keep a tab open on our formatting guide to make sure you’re organizing your documents correctly
Best Action Verbs for a Security Guard Cover Letter
As in the professional security guard cover letter sample, use specific, descriptive action verbs such as interacted, mediated, reinforced, acted, maintained, developed, regulated, trained and facilitated to make your letter stand out from the competition.
Cover Letter Text
Dear Vault Security Services,
I’m excited for the opportunity to join your team of elite security guards. My extensive training, professional background and dedication to the mission make me an excellent asset to your company. Being a security guard is a job I take seriously and one for which I’m well-suited. I’ve worked in a variety of security positions, both armed and unarmed, and I’m ready for the next challenge in my career. My time with the military taught me how to handle stressful situations and work successfully both on my own and with a team to meet my objectives. The job requirements included schedule flexibility, and I’m willing to work nights, weekends and holidays when necessary. One of the most important aspects of a good security guard is remaining calm and controlled in any situation that arises, and I have the personality and experience to follow this requirement to the letter. I consider being a security guard an important role, and I’m passionate about using my skills in the right capacity to protect people and property. I look forward to discussing how my unique skills and background make me an ideal candidate for this position. Thank you for your time and consideration.
In addition to the professional security guard cover letter example, be sure to check out our library of resume examples to fill out your security application. If you’re in Europe, you should see our CV examples collection instead and pick out a CV design to create a CV well-suited for a career in security.