Hull home

Children's Social Workers

Children's social workers do and how they can help.

Social workers have a legal responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of vulnerable children who may be at risk of harm. If a social worker has asked to visit you it is usually because you have asked for help, or someone who knows your family has contacted Children's Services because they are worried about your children and think you might need some help.

The social worker's prime focus will be making sure your child or children have the care and support that they need. The social worker will try to support parents to make sure children's needs are met. If parents have care or support needs their own right to a referral to adult services or other community based services might be appropriate. Agencies such as Citizens Advice can provide information for support with debts, health services, health concerns, substance misuse.

The first thing a Social Worker will do is explain -

  • why they need to visit you
  • who is worried
  • what those worries are

The social worker may need to visit your family to do an assessment. The purpose of the assessment is for you and the social worker to talk about what support you might need to help keep your child safe and well.

The assessment will usually take place in your family home and the social worker will need to speak to -

  • your children
  • your wider family if needed
  • any other professionals working with you to share information about the sort of help and support you might need (such as your family GP)

Once the social worker has gone through the assessment with you, they will talk to you about suitable services to support you to make the changes needed. It may be that you just need a small or short service which you could access in the community, but the social worker can tell you about what's available and help you to get in touch with these services.

If there are several worries and you need more help, the social worker will put together a plan of support with you and your family. They will arrange to meet with you, the family and friends you have said could help and other professionals, such as the school and/or health visitor. In this meeting you can agree what the support or safety plan will look like.

The support or safety plan will be written down, so everyone is clear about what needs change, who in your family will be helping and what services are going to be involved to support you.

The social worker will co-ordinate the services and regularly meet with you and the others in your support/safety network to review the plan with you. The aim of the social workers' involvement is to help you build on the things that are already going well in your family and to reduce the worries that were identified in the assessment, so your children can remain safe and well. As things change the social worker will talk to you about how things are going and whether more or less help and services are needed.

How to contact a social worker

For children and young people who current have an allocated social worker contact your locality children’s safeguarding team or 01482 300 300.

East Locality

87 Preston Road Hull HU9 3RN

Telephone - 01482 615 075

Email address -  [email protected]

North Locality

McMillan Centre 21st Avenue Hull HU6 8HS

Telephone - 01482 612 900

Email address -  [email protected]

West Locality

Lil Bilocca House Porter Street Hull HU1 2RH

Telephone - 01482 614 001

Email address -  [email protected]

A social worker must have a recognised qualification such as a Diploma in Social Work or a Degree in Social Work and be registered with Social Care England .

If you are unhappy with the social work service you have received to meet your child's needs

Feedback on how we are doing is extremely important.  Compliments and complaints are how we know how we are really doing and learning how we can improve the service we deliver.

Hull Adult Social Care APPP

Hull Adult Social Care APPP

Local Contacts

Below are contact details for relevant Hull City Council services and teams. If you would like to add to or amend the information below, please contact Gary Hass, Information Co-ordinator, Hull Adult Social Care .

Policy Partners Project

Emergency 999

Non-emergency 01482 448 879 (office hours) 01482 300 304 (out of hours)

Family Hubs Hull

Family Hubs Hull

Family Hubs provide a ‘one-stop-shop’ for you and your family to access the information, advice and support you need when you need it. This support will be available from conception through to age 19, or up to 25 for young people with special education needs and disabilities, in local communities.

Each hub provides a wide range of services to support you during pregnancy and throughout the first 1001 days of your child’s life and as your child grows and develops

How are you Feeling?

How are you Feeling?

Advice and support is available on the How are you Feeling? website around improving young peoples emotional health and well-being.

Staying safe online

Staying safe online

How safe are you online? Take the quiz…

The Partnership

Policies and procedures.

Hull CS logo

  • Additional Local Resources
  • Regulatory Framework
  • Using this Manual
  • Children's Homes
  • Larger Text
  • High Visibility
  • Default Text

Quick Links: This contents list is sub divided into the following sections, each Section contains relevant Chapters/Procedures: (Click on the title to jump to the Section you require):

  • All Children
  • Disabled Children
  • Services for Young People
  • Looked After Services
  • Adoption and Permanence
  • Children's Homes Procedures

1. All Children

2. disabled children, 3. services for young people, 4. looked after services, 5. adoption and permanence, 6. children's homes procedures, 8. guidance, 9. appendices.

trix logo

Trix procedures

Only valid for 48hrs

We always value your feedback to help us improve the website Please leave your comments here.

The Hull SEND Local Offer banner

  • Social Care
  • Children and Families

Hull Safeguarding Children Partnership

The Hull Safeguarding Children's Partnership (HSCP) is the statutory body that brings together all the key partners and organisations who work together to promote children’s welfare and help protect them from abuse.

This website provides information, advice and guidance to the public, children, parents and carers, and professionals working with children and young people. There is information available on the website for professionals around training that is available to them

If you are worried about a child or family, contact -

  • Early Help and Safeguarding Hub - 01482 448 879
  • Out of hours immediate help team - 01482 300 304
  • Child in immediate danger - 999
  • Police non-emergency - 101

External link Hull Safeguardng Children Partnership website -  external link Hull City Council website.

Policies and practices (Tri.X) – Hull Safeguarding Children's Partnership ( Core procedures (external link to HullSCP website)


Environment, housing and council tax, planning and building control, cost of living - help for households, can't find what you're looking for, popular searches, children's social care.

Information about children in care, children leaving care, children's participation and rights and support for families.

Most popular

Stay updated on the latest east riding news.

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice .

Manage your cookies

Advanced settings


  1. Document Library • North Wales Safeguarding Board

    report to social services hull

  2. About us

    report to social services hull

  3. Our Services

    report to social services hull

  4. Annual Reports

    report to social services hull

  5. Transforming Adult Social Care in Hull

    report to social services hull

  6. Social services: report by the independent commission

    report to social services hull


  1. How Do You Find Out the Owner of a Boat by Hull Number?

    The hull number, also referred to as the HIN, can be used with a HIN checker, such as HinValid. HIN checkers work similar to that of a vehicle history report, which looks up all the information pertaining to the ownership of the boat.

  2. The Ultimate Guide to Slaters Menswear in Hull: Everything You Need to Know

    If you’re a fashion-conscious man living in Hull, then you’ve probably heard of Slaters Menswear. With its extensive range of high-quality clothing and excellent customer service, Slaters has become a go-to destination for men looking to up...

  3. What Happens After You Report a Death to Social Security?

    Losing a loved one is never easy, and it can be overwhelming to navigate the administrative tasks that come with it. One important task is reporting the death to Social Security. This article will guide you through what happens after you re...

  4. Worried about a child

    EHASH - 01482 448 879 option 4 · Emergency Duty Team - 01482 300 304 (Out of hours).

  5. Report a concern

    Anyone who has concerns about the welfare of a child or young person (for example if a child you know is being abused or

  6. Children's Social Workers

    Social workers have a legal responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of vulnerable children who may be at risk of harm. If a social worker has asked

  7. Your Guide to Making a Complaint Social Care

    If you are unhappy about any of the services you receive from. Hull City Council and you have not been able to sort things out with your usual worker

  8. Local Contacts

    Below are contact details for relevant Hull City Council services and teams. If you would like to add to or amend the information below, please contact Gary

  9. Keeping Children and Adults Safe From Harm

    If you are concerned about a child or family call the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub on 01482 448879 or 01482 300304. If you are worried about an adult call

  10. Hull Safeguarding Children's Partnership

    Policies and Procedures. Children and young people · Adults, parents and carers

  11. Contents

    Protocol for Handling Inter-Agency Health and Social Care Children Services Complaints within

  12. Hull Safeguarding Children Partnership

    Self Evaluation Report. Search on site. Search on site. Home · Social Care ... hull-safeguarding-children-board external link Hull City Council

  13. Hull City Council Children, Young People and Family Services

    ❖ In the report for April 2020 to March 2021 complaints from parents of children looked.

  14. Children's social care

    Safeguarding Children's Hub - Report a worry or concern · Licensing and safeguarding children. All pages in this section. Children in care Children leaving care